Monday, November 12, 2007

if you want to send a letter to santa,

get it postmarked in Rudolph, WI. Home of the Grotto Shrine and Wonder Cave, Rudolph also postmarks thousands of holiday cards and letters with a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stamp. Did you know you can send your package of cards to the Postmaster of a particular city, and label it "Holiday Greeting Card Re-Mailing" and they will send your cards out with a special little cancellation? There are other communities that do this, too, like Bethlehem Georgia and Christmas Valley, Oregon, but Rudolph is nearest and dearest to my heart.

For this week's assignment, I searched Rudolph, on Wikipedia. I would have added my name to the notable residents area of the Wikipedia entry, but even though I grew up there, it's been 26 years since I have lived there, and it's debatable how notable I really am. Instead, I added a line about the postmark. That was quite thrilling! There really is a lot of trust there, as it got edited and posted immediately, I didn't even have to login. I had a new found love for Wikipedia. But then the love was tarnished. My post may have been the victim of vandalism! I am not sure why, but when I went back later, my addition had been deleted. Then, a short while later, my post was back up with a reference note! Who researched and then referenced my post, I have no idea. The wiki gods? You can see the whole sordid deal in history.

And for pbwiki. I have already made out my holiday shopping list! Online! This is genius! I can link to everything from the front page and then sort my various lists into separate pages. I think I might do this with my book lists, too. LibraryThing only sorts with tagging, which is nice, but not like a separate list. This way, I can have separate lists organized by year! I really enjoy making lists, so wikis are tailor made for me.

That's all for today.

Play more. Learn more. Fear less. If you want the scoop about what it was like to race around the Wonder Cave during school picnics, or play kickball near the grotto cemetery, just give me a holler! (That means you need to comment.)

4 comments:

Jimlearner said...

Aha! I tried to post before, but didn't log in. re del.icio.us the quiche photo certainly is; but the mnemonics for del.icio.us are rare. The 3,4,2 pattern isn't memorable; perhaps "I see, I owe" might be surrounded by del us (for take us to the Dells [Wisconsin Dells, that is--wherein one owes]. But "I see, I owe" is okay at the Cheese House -- returning to quiche. Great site at Pinky

Pinky said...

Thanks, Jim! I am glad that I am not the only one that finds del.icio.us dif.ficu.lt.

Anonymous said...

Golly, a Rudolph, Wisconsin? Why was this tidbit not included in my Wisconsin for Nebraskans training? Besides Johnny Carson, one of Nebraska's few boasts is Valentine, NE. And Carhenge. But I'm very tempted to run my holiday cards up to Rudolph for posting. Nifty!

Pinky said...

Discover Wisconsin, Robin. (That used to be our state tourism motto.) It's amazing what lurks just 120 miles away! Rudolph is also near Plover, (the town with "love" in its heart). oooh. I think it is also the geographic center of the state.