Tuesday, November 27, 2007

reflections

It is hard to believe that Semester 1 is coming to a close. Project Play has been a lot of fun for me for a couple of different reasons. I have learned so much (1), and discovered how pleasant it is to write blog entries that are not so content driven (2). The blog entries that I write for work are so dry - city recycling or new books on soup. My Project Play blog is a bit looser. It is highly entertaining to be able to offer polls about new television shows (Pushing Daisies is still my favorite - I nearly cried when the Aunts got their flippers wet at the end of the last episode - they desperately needed to get back in the water! closely followed by Chuck, a show that I hadn't watched until someone recommended it in the survey).

I have started using quite a few of the tools we have been playing with, entertaining friends and family with my JibJab disco dance featuring Bill Gates and Martha Stewart, making magazine covers with various photos and enjoying a daily dose of Cute Overload.

And thank god for SurveyMonkey. At the eleventh hour I had to re-work an online staff holiday guessing game because the form I created in Dreamweaver didn't work. Something about scripts, and variables, I don't really know. Our web librarian said I could redo it in SurveyMonkey and I actually kind of knew how to do it! She has the fancy $$ subscription, so I was able to add images and stuff. It is not perfect, but I was able to do it in about an hour and that is all that matters.

The Week 6 assignment was my favorite. Not necessarily because of flickr, but because of the other entertaining things I can do with photos on the web. There is a whole world of distraction out there. I also valued reading fellow players' blogs and seeing what they were up to. I found out about dogster (see Taffy the wonderdoodle's page) and Church Sign Generator (thanks, Emily!).

I will definitely continue with Semester 2. I have never tried IM'ing and the productivity week looks appealing. Ta-da lists? I love lists!
So until next semester,

Play More. Learn More. Fear Less. And JibJab like your life depends on it.

5 comments:

Jill said...

"JibJab like your life depends on it" - too funny! JibJab has become a staple at my house this past year. My husband and 11 yo son love it, and I have to admit I like some of it, too. By the way, Just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed your blog posts.

Pinky said...

Dear Jill,

Thank you very much! Have you tried making movies at JibJab with your own photos? It takes a lot more skill and time than I initially realized to carve out photo heads to fit the bodies that are provided, but it is hilarious.

Stef Morrill said...

JibJab is hilarious!! I've been "jibjabbed" by a friend in to the charleston dance, and, boy I wish I could really dance like that!!!

Glad you're looking forward to Semester 2. Now I have to go off to find your TV poll :-)

Pinky said...

The charleston, huh? The Carmen Miranda dance looks fun, too.

My TV survey is closed, but I did post the results here:
http://abcentries.blogspot.com/2007/10/survey-results-favor-television-viewing.html

Pinky said...

Well, that link doesn't work. And I don't know how to edit my own comments on here (I have so much to learn...)

The survey results are posted on October 23rd.