Monday, February 18, 2008

watch out grammar girl, here I come!

listening to podcasts is not something new for me, and I added feeds for Grammar Girl and Mr. Manners to my blogroll when we were learning about RSS in Semester One. I have been subscribing to podcasts thru iTunes for awhile: radio shows, classical music, podcasts for running, programs from the Art Institute of Chicago, New Yorker fiction, you get the idea. iTunes downloads the most recent podcasts automatically every time I log in, but I regularly forget to check, so adding them to my bloglines account is a good reminder that new episodes are available.

We have often talked about what we might use podcasts for at our library (book reviews, tutorials on how to create free email accounts, talking patrons through the free credit report page which is very confusing and difficult to navigate if you are new to the web) but I have never tried to create one. So I created a podcast of my most recent book review for MADreads and it is available for the world to hear on Gabcast! Project Play Week 6 #2


My voice sounds kind of muffled and weird - I can see where it would pay to have a little microphone, but I was quite amazed that I could do this over the phone. That could not have been easier. Energized by my first attempt, I am already planning how to take over the world with my new podcasting skills.

Now I need to work out some kind of Bill Gates/Steve Jobs masterplan. Any ideas? Would you listen to podcasts about cupcakes? candy? what's new on zappos or j.crew? hollywood news according to pinky? While I am working out those kinks, I will continue to play more, learn more and fear less. Ciao for now!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Pinky, I like your idea to use a podcast in the library to walk patrons though signing up for the free email services! And I enjoyed your book review podcast-nicely done.

Pinky said...

thank you very much!

Pinky said...

I forgot to add that I made the whole wheat sandwich bread from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes book and it turned out pretty well. It took a lot longer than 5 minutes, but I think the idea is that it makes a big batch, so the next time I bake the bread, it will only take me 5 minutes (not counting rising and cooking times).

Stef Morrill said...

Our gourmet cooking friend share this recipe from the NYTs with us:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

I'm too lazy to make "real" bread, but this one is SO easy I make it regularly....and it's pretty yummy!

Clearly, your podcast has inspired me, and that's the whole point, right?

Personally, I'd subscribe to a MADreads podcast. I don't get time to read the reviews on the blog on a regular basis, but if I can throw it on my iPod, it'll get listened to eventually.

And I would totally listen to your hollywood news and movie reviews, too!

Pinky said...

that recipe is very similar to the 5 minutes a day recipes - the best part is that you have the smell of dough in your house for 20+ hours!