Monday, March 3, 2008

starring Johnny Depp

- that's who I would like to screencast in my movie! oh wait, screencasting is a computer tutorial, not really a movie. kind of like a movie, though. definitely more interactive than watching a powerpoint slideshow and more interesting than just a podcast if you are looking for something visual. I like listening to podcasts because I am doing something else, like exercising or riding the bus, but I really benefit from seeing demonstrations and hearing demonstrations when I am learning, so screencasts are the way to go.

I found a screencast about something that I wanted to know more about that is very web 2.0: Joost. What is Joost? It's the magic of television, with the power of the internet built right in! It's online tv. On demand. Kind of my dream. I love being able to catch up on several episodes of Lost at one time, now that episodes are online. But if I am more than a couple of weeks behind (ok, months), those episodes go away and aren't available for free anymore. Joost isn't quite there, yet, but I have high hopes that someday it will be.

If you are curious about Joost, watch this screencast:


As for libraries, the possibilities for screencasts are endless. Screencasts for setting up free email is a great idea; I can also see using screencasts for how to create a resume, as a replacement for our paper pathfinder on Ancient Cultures, for a virtual tour of the library, for database quick guides and approximately one million other things.

Play more, learn more (like how to make candy sushi, thanks to wikihow) and fear less. Ta for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you hear that Joost is going to be carrying all of the March Madness basketball games? Sounds like they are hoping it will give them some juice with online video watchers.

Good idea on screencasts! The idea of using it to replace paper pathfinders is a wicked good one. How much more interesting and dynamic would that be than a piece of paper.