Tuesday, March 18, 2008

i'll take mine with m&ms and oreo bits, please.

I love ice cream smoosh-ins! What a smart idea, to take your scoops of ice cream and spread them around on a slab of marble, then smoosh in your toppings and scoop it all back into a dish or cone. Just the way you like it!

Too bad we aren't talking about ice cream today. Rather, we are discussing an online concept I can only partially wrap my head around. Mash-Ups. I get it when talking about music. I get it when talking about adding Google maps or census data to your document, adding widgets or weather to your web page or blog or combining amazon info with your library catalog. I just don't get Yahoo Pipes. I recently read an article where a librarian created a virtual assistant with Yahoo Pipes and didn't replace the human who had been her previous assistant because it worked so well. Wha?

I like the idea of adding mash-up value to our library catalog. Let people make wish lists. Let them track what they've read. What they want to read. Add comments. Send lists to friends. If they want to do it and aren't concerned about their privacy, why not? Add away. Even though I don't really get how the apps work (is that what Mr. Suit from ZDNet called them?) I appreciate the final product. Good work, out there! Keep it up!

For this week's assignment, I added a listing for my favorite lunch spot, Marigold Kitchen, to Map Builder. If you're hungry and you're downtown and you want to grab a little lunch, I'll be your date! I love that place.

I can't believe it is already Week 10. I am playing more, learning more and fearing less than I ever did before. Ciao!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pipes is on my list to play with, but I haven't gotten there yet....but if I ever do, and if I figure it out, I'll let ya know!

Pinky said...

please do! I find it so confusing.

jaime said...

Ice cream smooshing was a great analogy...and sounds delightful (though I have yet to try it).
Has Taffy tried the yummy ice cream from Bad Dog Friday? Sequoia is a fan of the blueberry and will be enjoying some on her upcoming birthday!

Pinky said...

Taffy has not tried doggy ice cream! I bet she would love it. Sometimes I give her a little plain yogurt and she really likes that, I can't even imagine ice cream! That is the best store.