Monday, March 24, 2008

inquiring, interested, probing, questioning, snooping, nosy, prying

all of these are synonyms for curious. Never really thought of prying or nosy in the same category as questioning and interested, so I will challenge Merriam-Webster on that one. Does that make me curious?

I don't have to think too hard about that one, anyway. I'm very curious about some things. I'll eat just about anything, and I love kim chee (fermented cabbage, look above right) with squid, sashimi, octopus, giblets, liver and I am sure there are other things that show up on a lot of "I refuse to eat that" lists that don't bother me in the least. I grew up eating dirt pies, blades of grass and more than a few insects; not much phases me. I read once that an adventurous appetite was something that the military looked for in secret agents. Add a little self-defense training and a disguise and I could be on Alias!

Seth Godin's video about curiosity was right on. As a kid, I was constantly taking things apart, then trying to put the broken objects back together again (not so hot when I realized that I couldn't get my Fisher Price box record player to work again; quick lesson: I am not mechanically inclined) and there would be notes on my report card that I "asked too many questions." My parents never discouraged this, but it wasn't exactly cherished, either. I was a notorious snooper for Christmas and birthday gifts, but once I discovered how disappointed I was when I actually found something, that came to an end. My mother warned me it wouldn't be fun and she was right. sigh.

I don't consider myself to be curious in a gadfly kind of way. I didn't ask a million questions of professors during my college years. As an adult, I am not nearly as curious as when I was young. But I still love trying new things - new lotion, new gum, new restaurants, etc. Project Play was just the right speed for me. I could try new things while playing around at my desk. Very safe! And I learned a lot.

Thank you to the Project Play Coordinators - this was a great semester and I will really miss it. I bookmarked Netvibes and GoogleSites and the other suggestions to keep up with playing.

So until we meet again, I will continue playing more, learning more, fearing less and eating whatever life throws my way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You could be on Alias or that TV show "Spy" that was on PBS a few years ago! It always looked like so much fun! (I'm a picky eater, so no go for me!)

Thanks to you, Pinky, for your entertaining and thoughtful posts. I will miss reading them!

We are going to try to do something to continuing the Project Play spirit in a smaller way, so please let me know if you see anything interesting as you explore!

Pinky said...

Thanks, Stef; I will really miss Project Play. I just subscribed to infodoodads in order to explore new stuff.