Tuesday, March 11, 2008

more than 2.0. maybe 3.0. possibly 3.5.

At this stage of the game, I can safely say that I am way more 2.0 than YouTube. Finally! Something that I am on track with! I have been 'friending' my way around YouTube for a couple of years already, mostly watching stuff that other people send me or popular newsy items. Really important stuff, like funny animal antics, or replays of controversial events that occur on daytime tv (remember the Clay Aiken/Kelly Ripa scandal of 'o6?). Or checking to see which wedding dress Nikki wore when she married Victor the second time on Y&R. YouTube is a goldmine for that kind of stuff.

After a recent trip to Chicago, I was singing about the caramelcrisp/cheesecorn mix from Garrett Popcorn and my mom said she remembered seeing a segment about it on the Food Network. I immediately checked YouTube, and sure enough, there it was. Watch here:



While I was searching, I also discovered that Halle Berry and I share a love for the Mix. It is delicious!

Libraries can also get in on the fun of YouTube in many ways: amateur movie-making contests promoting the library, school promos for the summer library program, author visits and lectures (with permission, of course), training sessions, virtual tours and so much more. It would be great to have a fancy camera, but I can make little movies with my phone and Canon Sure Shot (often by accident!), so, really, anyone can do it.

Now, if only I could figure out what T9 texting is all about...

Until I get that sorted out, I guess I will play more, learn more and fear less, while eating as much Garrett Mix as possible. Next up: Ethel's Chocolate Lounge!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for teaching me about Garrett Popcorn and about Y&R wedding montagees. I had no idea either thing existed!

Pinky said...

I know, right? The caramelcrisp/cheesecorn mix is the best.

Jill said...

Oh, Cool - I didn't know Unwrapped episodes are on YouTube! My family loves watching that show, How It's Made, and similar factory process-type shows. Yummy topic, too :) I liked your ideas for public libraries promoting summer programs and public events (with permission) with YouTubes, too.
What's also cool - I didn't know you ould watch tv episodes on YouTube - I'll have to see if there are just new shows, or if there are really old ones on, too.

Pinky said...

Hi Jill, YouTube is amazing, isn't it? If you are looking for full episodes of shows, though, you really should check out Joost or Hulu. Hulu has the full run of the Partridge Family! I have come full circle with FoodTV. I loved Iron Chef and watched it every week, then didn't watch anything for a couple of years and now I am back. I still really like UnWrapped and Paula Deen. Paula's pumpkin gooey cake has become a family favorite at Thanksgiving and it is really easy. And has lots of butter!